Vasant or Basant Panchami, which marks the start of the spring season, is a significant element of the Hindu festival calendar that is observed in various ways around the country. The celebration also serves as a precursor to one of India’s most major religious holidays, Holika Dahan and Holi. On the occasion of Vasant Panchami, kite flying is a popular custom in numerous North Indian states, as well as in Pakistan. Wearing yellow clothing and offering yellow food are also part of the ritual. Goddess Saraswati is also revered on this day, and Saraswati puja is performed at various educational institutions. As a result, Saraswati Jayanti is also known as Saraswati Jayanti in Hindu culture in various regions of the country.
Vasant Panchami is observed on the 5th day of the bright half of the Hindu luni-solar calendar month of Magha, which falls in late January or February according to the Gregorian calendar. The festival date may change depending on the phase of the moon. The date for Basant Panchami in 2021 is February 5th. Vasant Panchami is dedicated to Goddess Saraswati, who is regarded the goddess of knowledge, language, music, and all forms of art by many Hindus. Basant Panchami is significant because it coincides with the harvest of the yellow-flowering mustard crop, which Hindus link with Saraswati’s favourite colour.
Another tale surrounding Vasant Panchami revolves around Kama, the Hindu God of Love, and Lord Shiva. Goddess Parvati is said to have sought God Kama, requesting that he wake Shiva from his Yogic concentration so that he might do his earthly duties. Kama consented and used his sugarcane bow to fire an arrow composed of flowers and bees. Hindus commemorate this initiative as Vasant Panchami.
Vasant Panchami has a history that links it to the birthday of the Sun God. On this day, the sculptures at the Deo-Sun shrine in Bihar’s Aurangabad region are cleansed and new red robes are placed on them. Devotees perform songs, dances, and musical instruments. Basant Panchami is observed in a variety of ways throughout the country.
- Some of the traditional customs that you might observe on Vasant Panchami in 2021:-
- Goddess Saraswati’s temples are packed with food the day before this popular Hindu holiday, in the hopes that the goddess may join the believers in the traditional feasting the next morning.
- Saraswati statues are clad in yellow at temples and educational institutions.
- Several educational institutions have made arrangements for special morning prayers or pujas to seek the goddess’s grace.
- In some places, Saraswati is honoured with musical and lyrical performances.
- The feast of kesar halwa and yellow rice is being prepared in a special way.
- Saffron is also used in these recipes, which are distributed to everyone.
Blog By :-
Ms. Punam Mittal
Department of Commerce & Management
Biyani Group of Colleges