Hello there, I hope you’re doing well. Nowadays, Yoga has become a part of our lives. Health & Fitness are the main reasons for doing Yoga. Moreover, Sarvangasana is one of the most beneficial Yog for our body. Hence, in this blog, you’ll read about ‘Sarvangasana’, ‘The Benefit of Sarvangasana’, and ‘Contradictions for Sarvangasana’.
In addition, you’ll get to know how to perform Sarvangasana. So, keep reading till the end of the blog.
The word ‘Sarvanga’ means the entire body. Shoulder Stand is a Yoga pose in which the entire body is balanced on the shoulder.
It is one of the best Asana of Hathyog. Likewise, it has a positive impact on the overall health and body. It is a full-body exercise that stimulates different muscles of the body. The word Sarvangasana comes from Sanskrit and can be broken into three parts.
Serve- all Anga – bodypart asana- pose
It translates to all limbs pose but is called the shoulder stand pose.
How to perform Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand)
- Firstly, lie on your back with your hands by your side.
- Then, with a slight move lift legs, buttocks, and back coming up high on the shoulders. Support back with the hands.
- Afterward, move elbows closer towards each other, hands along the back, moving towards the shoulder blades legs, and spine by pressing the elbows down to the floor and hands into the back. Body weight should be supported on the shoulders and upper arms and make sure not on the head & neck.
- Legs must be kept firm. Lifting heels higher as though putting a footprint on the ceiling. Bring the big toes straight over the nose. Pointing the toes up. Do not press the neck into the floor. Instead, keep tightening the neck muscles slightly. Press sternum towards the chin. If you feel any strain in the neck, keep relaxed.
- Keep breathing deeply and stay in the posture for 30-60 seconds.
- Lastly, to come out of the posture, lower the knees to the forehead. Bringing hands to the floor, palms facing down. Without lifting the head, slowly bringing the spine down, vertebra by vertebra, completely to the floor. Lowering the legs to the floor. Lastly, relax for a minimum of 60 seconds.
Benefit & Contradiction of Sarvangasana
The benefit of Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand)
- It is great for improving blood circulation in the entire body.
- Stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands and normalizes their functions.
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders and keeps the spine flexible.
- Promotes hair growth, and reduces hair fall.
- Nourishes the brain with more blood.
- Stretches the heart muscles.
- Brings relief from constipation, indigestion, and varicose veins.
- Regulates periods in women & boosts immunity.
- Useful in curing Asthma, and other respiratory problems.
- Helpful in reducing anxiety, and stress and improves self-confidence.
- Reduces dark circles and smoothens skin texture.
- Improves eyesight.
One must consult the Physician before doing the Sarvangasana under any of the following health conditions:
pregnancy, menstruation, high blood pressure, heart problem, glaucoma, slip disc, spondylosis, neck pain, acute thyroid problems, and heart diseases.
Blog by: Dr. Shweta Tripathi
Department of Yoga & Naturopathy
Biyani Group of Colleges, Jaipur
to pursue your Graduation by sitting at your home.