Wildlife is a precious gift of God to this planet. The term ‘Wildlife’ not only includes wild animals but also includes all undomesticated life forms including birds, insects, plants, fungi and even microscopic organisms. India is known all over the world for its wildlife and biodiversity richness. Wildlife conservation is an activity in which humans make cognizant efforts to protect plants and other animal species and their habitats. Conservation mainly focused on carrying capacity of area and intelligent use of natural resources, if they are excess or plenty their use should be permitted, but if the resources decrease, a strict monitoring and carrying capacity should be done. Wildlife conservation is very important because wildlife and wilderness play an important role in maintaining the ecological balance and contribute to human quality of life.
We must protect forest, rivers, sea, air, land and wild flora and fauna first and foremost for our own liking and survival, other reasons are:
- Wildlife and forests are measure of the biodiversity. By conserving the wildlife and forest we are ensuring that all diverse species in an area survive, breed and flourish.
- Conservation of wildlife and forests is vital for ecological stability.
- Forests are the habitat for wildlife and they are an important constituent of the various food chains and food webs. Forests are needed for smooth functioning of biogeochemical cycles, prevention of floods and soil erosion.
- Forest and life therein is essential for survival of villagers and tribal people who live in or around forests.
- Many industries depend on the forest and the natural resources obtained from there, such as timber, rubber and paper
- Wildlife is very important to people who love nature and want to experience nature in its most pristine form and forests make excellent retreats away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Forests give shelter, more oxygen, prevent global warming, make climate friendly and more suitable, prevent soil erosion and landslides and help in flood control.
- Most of the today’s food crops have evolved from wild tropical plants; if they were not saved we should be deprived of many crops in future times.
- Pollination and seed dispersal by birds, insects and animals is essential to increase diversity of genetic recombination, as variation has been a basis of evolution.
- Survival of humans and other species is dependent on producers, if the ecosystem is disturbed and plants are affected we and other consumers will be adversely affected.
- Wildlife serves as gene library; pre mature extinction of species leads to irreversible loss of genetic information that influences the future evolution of life on earth.
- Bio and ecological diversities are essential to all life in earth and should not be disturbed by human actions. This blue planet, on which we live, is beautiful flowers, green trees and animals. To save the enchanting natural world, ecosystem as a whole has to be saved for our future generations to enjoy. Unless the entire ecosystem is preserved, the individual species will not be able to survive for long.
- Our planet earth must be conserved for our future generations to see and enjoy.
- The nature must be conserved to make the future generations more prosperous and wealthy.
Blog by- Dr. Sunil Chaudhary
Asst. Prof., Department of Science