Hello there, I hope you’re doing well. You all know about the importance of nursing in the medical field. In this blog, you’re gonna read about the scope & the history of nursing. Also, you’ll read about the highest administrative position in Nursing. So, keep reading till the end.
Let’s get started….
The History of Nursing
Earlier, In 1946, the RAK College of Nursing in Delhi and Vellore started the first four-year basic Bachelor’s Degree program.
Then, In 1947, after the independence, the community development program and the expansion of hospital service created a large demand for nurses, auxiliary nurse midwives, health visitors, midwives, nursing tutors, and nursing administrators.
Afterward, The Indian Nursing Council came into existence by our ordinance on December 31st, 1947. The council was constituted in 1949. Further, In 1960, The first master’s degree course, a two-year postgraduate program began at the College of Nursing, Delhi. Lastly, In 1963, the School of Nursing in Trivandrum instituted the first two years post certificate Bachelor’s Degree program.
The associations such as the International Council of Nurses, the nurses auxiliary of the CMA of India, T.N.A.I. Generally, Indian Nursing council and State level Registration Council are closely connected with the promotion and upliftment of the nursing profession.
Scope in Nursing
There was a time when professional nurses had very little choice of service because nursing was centered in the hospital and bedside nursing. However, Career opportunities have increased now for a number of reasons.
The list of opportunities in Nursing are:
- Provides direct patient care to one patient or a group of patients.
- Assists ward management and supervision.
- She is directly responsible to the ward supervisor.
Ward sister or Nursing Supervisor
- She is responsible to the nursing superintendent for the nursing care management of a ward or unit.
- Takes full charge of the ward.
- Assigns work to nurse and non-nursing personnel working in the ward.
- Responsible for the safety and comfort of patients in the ward.
- Provides teaching sessions if that is a teaching hospital.
Department Supervisor/Assistant Nursing Superintendent
- She is responsible to the nursing superintendent and deputy nursing superintendent for the nursing care and management of more than one ward or unit. Example Surgical department, Out-patient department.
Deputy Nursing Superintendent
- She is responsible to the nursing superintendent and assists in the nursing administration of the hospital.
You are reading ‘scope & the history of nursing’.
- She is responsible to the medical superintendent for the safe and efficient management of hospital nursing services.
Director of Nursing
- She is responsible for both nursing service and nursing education within a teaching hospital. Community Health Nurse (CHN) services mainly focus on Reproductive Child Health Programme.
Teaching in Nursing
Basically, the functions and responsibilities of the teacher in nursing are planning, teaching, and supervising the learning experiences for the students. Likewise, the positions in nursing education are clinical instructor, tutor, senior tutor, lecturer, associate professor, Reader in nursing, and Professor in nursing.
Industrial nurses are providing first aid, care during illness, health education about industrial hazards, and prevention of accidents.
Military Nursing service became a part of the Indian Army which means nurses became commissioned officers. Even, they achieve ranks from lieutenant to major general.
Nursing Services abroad give attractive salaries and promising professional opportunities which causes a major increase for nursing services abroad.
Nursing Service in Administrative positions
- The highest administrative position on a national level is the Nursing Advisor to the Govt. of India.
- Whereas, at the state level, the Deputy Director of Nursing of the State Health Directorate is the highest Nursing Administrative position.
Blog by: Ms. Rumana Ali
Department 0f Nursing
Biyani Group of Colleges, Jaipur
to pursue your Graduation by sitting at your home.